Monday, February 28, 2011

The Slanted Door- San Francisco

We paid a quick visit to The Slanted Door located in the Ferry Building for lunch one afternoon. This place is a breath of fresh air with ample space and large, gracious windows that allow for the beautiful sunlight to flood through. The mood is relaxed and carries with it a "lounge-y" vibe. 

BBQ Pork Spareribs with Honey Hoisin Sauce
Unfortunately, I wasn't terribly impressed with these spareribs. The meat was a little too charred and dried on the outside. The glaze was nice though, a little tangy but balanced by the sweetness from the honey. I'm still confused as to why they gave us a spoon for the ribs. I mean, there wasn't that much sauce.

Green Papaya Salad with Tofu and Roasted Peanuts
A while back, one of my girlfriends raved to me about the amazing green papaya salad that her mom throws together and ever since, I've been wanting to try it. I've had the orange-colored papaya many times before, but never the green. So when I saw this salad on the menu, I got excited (and for good reasons). Talk about a healthy and refreshing choice! Green papaya is worlds apart in both taste and texture from the mushy, sweet, ripened papaya. Because the texture of green papaya is crunchy and hard, it can be shredded or julienned. For a further spritz of acidity, the salad is dressed in a tangy lime sauce. This salad is definitely a big win and I felt 1000% guilt free after eating it.


After lunch, I walked around the Ferry Building and came upon Miette, where I bought a few sweets. Let me tell you, the salted caramels, though they may be a bit pricey, are worth every single penny. They are creamy, buttery, smooth and the sea salt on top heightens the sweetness of the caramel.

No comments:

Post a Comment